Transform your pooch from troublemaker to the best-behaved pet on the block with these simple steps.
- Let your pet know who the boss is from the start. Establish the rules and follow them consistently.
- If your pet demonstrates poor behavior in certain situations or environments, avoid those situations as much as possible.
- If you keep a close eye on your pet, you’ll quickly learn what it needs to be comfortable and cared for.
- When you get a new pet, make sure you supervise it closely during training and restrict its access to a small area of your home until properly trained.
- Encourage and reward good behavior.
- Correct bad behaviors by providing your pet with alternatives (e.g., swap a toy for your favorite tennis shoes or a chew stick in lieu of a table leg).
- Positive reinforcement is good. Never reprimand your pet physically or force it to follow your commands, as this may lead to fear and aggression.
- Don’t “rough house” with your pet or encourage aggressive behavior, as your pet can’t distinguish between when this is acceptable and when it isn’t.
- Slowly socialize your puppy by exposing it to other people, animals, and environments so that over time, it becomes comfortable with its living situation.
- If your pet continues to demonstrate serious behavior problems, seek the counsel of your vet or a veterinary behaviorist.
Laurelwood Animal Hospital, located near Jesuit High School on Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway offers a full range of companion animal services, including surgery, nutrition and behavior counseling, parasite control and preventative medicine. The hospital also offers advanced imaging through an all-digital spiral CT scanner, a comprehensive dental program and laser treatment.
If you’re looking for quality, compassionate veterinary care in Beaverton, Oregon, come visit us at Laurelwood Animal Hospital.
Laurelwood Animal Hospital
9315 SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway
Beaverton, Oregon 97005
Phone: (971) 244-4230
Fax: (503) 292-6808
E-mail: [email protected]