National Dog Day (Also known as: International Dog Day & National Dog Appreciation Day) is celebrated August 26th annually and serves to help galvanize the public to recognize the number of dogs that need to be rescued each year, and acknowledges family dogs and dogs that work selflessly each day to save lives, keep us safe and bring comfort. Dogs put their lives on the line every day – for their law enforcement partner, for their blind companion, for a child who is disabled, for our freedom and safety by detecting bombs and drugs and pulling victims of tragedy from wreckage.
Ways that you can celebrate National Dog Day:
1. Adopt a dog from your local shelter or pure breed rescue organization. Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to walk a dog or play with a dog, clean cages or anything else they need help with.
2. Have a safety check of your home to make sure it’s safe for your dog and others.
3. Donate blankets, food and toys to animal welfare organizations.
4. Organize a peaceful demonstration in front of your community pet store that sells puppies.
5. Write your Congressman and ask that he/she support the ban of Puppy Mills and Gas Chambers in your state.
6. Order an adorable dog shaped flower arrangement from 1-800-Flowers.com and enjoy a 10% discount by using code DOG when placing your order!
7. Have a National Dog Day party and invite all your friends and their dogs!
8. Spend the day taking photos of your dog and then enter our photo contest!
9. Buy an official National Dog Day Tee here and sport it proudly!
10. Assist an ill or elderly neighbor by walking their dog.
11. Have a portrait painted of your dog to suspend the fleeting magic of dogdom.
12. Buy your dog a fun new dog toy….or two…or five.
13. Give your dog some fun exercise by taking him or her to a doggy play resort.
15. Brush your dog to eliminate excess fur.
16. Give your dog a massage or holistic spa treatment.
17. Teach your dog a new trick.
18. Buy your dog a fashionable collar and leash.
19. Hire a professional pet photographer for a fun photo shoot.
20. Take your dog to the beach.
To learn more about National Dog Day go here https://www.nationaldogday.com/.